Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Author Spotlight: Welcome Brando Ax




I'm trilled to be receiving author Brandon Ax today to promote his new YA novel, Elemental.

Sophia's mother disappeared when she was six, leaving behind a broken father and sleep disturbed by silent terrors. Now twelve years later, the nightmares that plagued her youth have suddenly returned. 

With dark creatures occupying her nights and a sense of restlessness consuming her days, all she wants is to finish school and get out of her small town as fast as possible. Everything changes when she is confronted with the realization that the shadowy beings from her dreams are real. The truth of this reality hits hard when someone she loves is killed. It would seem that anyone in their way is disposable. 

A mysterious boy named Aiden enters her life bringing with him all sorts of complications. They're drawn to each other, but their connection brings Aiden right into the path of her half-demon nightmares. With her father and several new friends put in the cross-hairs, Sophia must decide whether to let the shadows take her or stand her ground and fight. As the school year steadily moves closer to an end her decision may come with the cost of her life or worse -- the lives of those she cares about.



                   Find it on Amazon                                               Find it on Goodreads 


Hi Brandon, thank you for being with us. Please do tell, what inspired you to write this book?


It was a mixture of things really. I had been working on other projects when the idea of people who control the elements came to mind. I stored it as I often do with random ideas. Not long after that I had been thinking of writing a good female lead in a story, most of the prominent figures in my life were women which gave me a great respect for females in general. Somehow the ideas seemed to click together and I paired that with some things from my life, like my father leaving, you know all that good emotional stuff that makes us cling to some form of art later in life. 


Did you listen to specific songs while writing?


Oh so many. I love music and have it around almost at all times. If I can think back to when I was writing my first draft... I remember listening to Lights a good bit, she has a song February Air that was for sure on a loop. I even referenced it in the book in a small scene that said "I'd forgotten my jacket in the car and the February air was cold on my arms." Other than that I love to find covers of older songs or new that are done slower or just slightly different like Ellie Goulding's version of Your Song. AWOLNATION Sail has been playing a lot during revisions. Sorry I can get long winded about music so I'll stop myself. Really it just depends on the story I have such an eclectic taste.



Any advice for aspiring writers?


There is so much good advice out there. I think one thing is find your favorite author and go to his/her blog or website and just pay attention to the things they say, they made it for a reason. Past that just keep at it. All art is a matter of the more you do the better you get. We all start at different levels of talent and skill and over time we can develop it. No short cuts in writing just a lot of work.



What are you working on now -- or would you rather surprise us?


I'd love to share. Besides working on my house and the two kids and three dogs(lol) I have two things in the works. One is the Follow up to Elemental titled Ashes which should be out later this year. The other has the working title The Alchemist Son. It's a story about the worlds first murder detective, set in an almost pre-Victorian era fantasy world, I'm having tons of fun with it.



You can find Brandon Ax on:

Blog

Facebook

CreateSpace


Thank you for being with us Brandon, and good luck on all your future projects.

1 comment:

  1. Brandon, I'm so proud of you! You're getting much deserved recognition! -Bree

    ReplyDelete